Tuesday, February 19, 2013
It can sometimes be hard to give kids food that's healthy and that also tastes great too! Here are some great ideas from Taste that your little ones a re sure to love and maybe even ask for more!
2 cups toasted muesli
1 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup honey
60g butter, melted
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1. Place muesli, apricots, honey and warm, melted butter in a food processor. Process for 2 to 3 minutes or until well combined.
2. Place coconut in a shallow dish. Roll tablespoons of muesli mixture into balls. Coat balls in coconut. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
BROWN RICE & SALMON PATTIES
1/2 cup medium grain brown rice
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 spring onions, trimmed, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
415g can red salmon, drained, skin and bones removed, flaked
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
1/2 cup low-fat grated cheddar
125g green beans, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons wholemeal plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon kecap manis
2 carrots, cut into sticks
2 celery stalks, cut into sticks
250g cherry tomatoes
100g trimmed snow peas, to serve
1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
1. Cook rice following packet directions. Drain. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until onion has softened. Transfer onion mixture to rice. Cool completely.
3. Add salmon, coriander, cheese, beans, flour, egg and kecap manis. Season with pepper. Mix well. Using 2 level tablespoons of mixture at a time, shape into patties. Place on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
4. Make Dipping sauce: Combine yoghurt and sauce in a small bowl. Cover. Refrigerate.
5. Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Serve patties with vegetables and dipping sauce.
YOGHURT BERRY POPS
1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, washed
1 x 500g container creamy vanilla yoghurt
1 x 150g punnet blueberries
8 wooden iceblock sticks
1. Place the strawberries and one-third of the yoghurt in the jug of a blender or the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Pour evenly among eight 100ml-capacity iceblock moulds. Place in the freezer for 1 hour or until almost set.
2. Remove iceblocks from the freezer. Divide half the remaining yoghurt evenly among moulds. Tap moulds on a work surface to smooth tops. Place in the freezer for 1 hour or until almost set.
3. Place the blueberries and the remaining yoghurt in the jug of a blender or the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Remove moulds from the freezer. Pour blueberry mixture evenly among moulds. Insert wooden iceblock sticks into the centres. Return to the freezer for a further 2 hours or until set. Remove from moulds and serve immediately.
Monday, February 4, 2013
Weddings are a busy time and can often be twice as stressful while managing children. BubbleBum, SnoozeShade, and DaddyScrubs have created a winning combination of products to help keep “the big day” moving with ease while eliminating transition struggles, such as finding a manageable booster seat or a non-stimulating place for a small baby to nap.
On the big day, easily carpool the flower girls and ring bearers to the wedding or reception with BubbleBum! A perfect alternative to the standard plastic booster seat, BubbleBum weighs less than one pound and deflates in minutes, making it easy to pack into a purse during the wedding.
BubbleBum’s portability makes it convenient for families that are flying in from out of town. Use it on a plane or in a rental car, and alleviate the headache of worrying about what kind of condition a rental booster seat will be in! Designed with belt-positioning clips in place of armrests, BubbleBum’s size makes it possible to fit three boosters across the back seat of a crowded car, minivan, SUV, or limo. If the wedding party has to switch to a different car after the wedding, BubbleBum can be inflated in approximately one minute then easily transferred into a different car once the ceremony is over.
For the youngest wedding guests, SnoozeShade has designed an award-winning protective screen to minimize visual stimulation for babies that may need to get some rest during the excitement of the wedding. The SnoozeShade Car Seat and SnoozeShade Playard provide light-level altering which helps baby sleep in a darkened, safe place even if it is only midday. In the case of an outdoor wedding, the screen also protects against various weather conditions like rain, snow, sleet, or even insects, and it also keeps baby’s skin safe from UV rays.
DaddyScrubs' Daddy Diaper Pack holds everything you’ll need to keep on top of any and all emergencies during the busy wedding day! The diaper pack has two roomy compartments that can be easily filled with diapers, wipes, clothes, and toys so you can stay one step ahead during such a busy time. The custom design eliminates fumbling through deep pockets while the full straps and clips make removing it quick and simple if an emergency spill happens. Organizer pockets make it easy for money, keys, pacifiers, and even those special wedding rings to be stored safely without getting lost!
Stay ahead of the game with BubbleBum, SnoozeShade, and DaddyScrubs! The above products keep your wedding, or anyone else’s, as smooth, happy, and memorable as possible!